Sunday, May 12, 2013

Of Gardens and Woodworking

It has been quite cool and damp here this weekend. Which is great! It means my peas, kohlrabi, and kale will have a chance to put on some growth before it gets to hot for them. It also means the pole beans will be a little late coming up, which is fine since I still haven't been able to get the poles for them.

Instead, I have taken advantage of the cool weather to stay inside and work on my next batch of tafl pieces. I initially made 9 new pieces but the ever destructive Dora decided she was going to eat one and destroy another. Even with a muzzle on at night, Dora knocks stuff onto the floor and does her best to absolutely destroy everything. Sigh!

But, 7 pieces survived Dora's night time onslaught and I spent the evening on Friday and a good portion of the afternoon yesterday sanding each piece carefully. I had to be rather more diligent than usual since there were a few nicks and dings from being used as dog chews. Once they were sanded smooth I game them my customary coat of tung oil to really highlight the grains of the wood.

I'm quite taken with the maple piece sporting the copper crown. The crown is made up of a copper rondelle bead with a copper bead cap glue on upside down. I think it looks quite nice and balances the colour of the wood and the height.

I think I will try to make a few more pieces in this shape just to add crowns to them. Somehow I feel they are more appropriate for King pieces that the standard pieces I've been making so far. A little regal, a little classy, a little posh.







I am finding that I have starting to make pieces more complex as I get to know the capabilities of each of the tools I have. I also found I had more tools than I originally thought. Years ago I purchased a set of carving tools from Canadian Tire, that turned out to be useless for hand carving because of the thickness of the edges.

While working on the latest turned pieces I suddenly remember that set and pulled it out. Several of the pieces in that set work very well for wood turning. The V gouges, the spoon gouges, and even the straight edge chisels seemed to work well for creating interesting shapes in the spinning wood.

I think if the sun comes out tomorrow I will go outside and turn a few more pieces. Maybe I'll pull out some exotic woods I have in storage and see how well they turn. Or maybe, just maybe, I'll rummage through the yard looking for some cast off branches of Chestnut, Cedar, Apple, and more. See how green wood turns and what kind of lovely pieces I cam make from it.



1 comment:

Friko said...

I stumbled on your blog quite by accident, fell over it practically.
I love it.
I've scrolled back until I got to the very beginning.

the Sauerkraut impressed me a lot. I grew up with a large crock of it in the cellar. My mum would go and fetch up a portion whenever needed .

I hope I'll find you again.