Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Winter is Still Here

This time last year I had already planted my entire garden. The year before that we had a heat wave of 20º C that caused my lettuce to prematurely go to seed. This year the air is still cold, the ground, is still frozen, and we still have snow coming out of the sky.

Don't get me wrong, I love Winter and I believe the last few years have been abnormal. I don't mind that we still have snow on the ground. I think it is a good thing to get back to something resembling a normal Winter schedule. I just hope that the Summer is normal to. If not then my garden is likely to be in a lot of trouble this year.

I was betting on a cooler summer than the last two so I chose a lot of cooler weather plants. Kale, Snow Peas, Spinach, Fennel, Kohlrabi, and the like. Plants that do well in a area that averages less than 22ºC during the Summer. Unfortunately, the weather casters are predicting a hotter, muggier, and longer Summer than last year. If it is hotter than last year then not only is the garden in trouble but so am I.

I am much like the cooler weather plants. I thrive in dry, cool conditions. It is one of the reasons I prefer Winter to Summer, and Fall to Spring. I love it when the average temperature in the Summer never goes above 23º C. When it is hot and humid, especially the humidity, I will have a chest cough the entire Summer that makes every activity difficult and physical activity is more likely to make me sick than relax me.

So, I am crossing my fingers that once again the weather casters have it wrong. I pray my instincts are correct and that I and my garden will be able to thrive, grow, and enjoy the coming Summer.

No comments: