Friday, December 21, 2012

Doomsday

Alright, I admit it... I was a little anxious about today. I've grown up hearing about the Mayan Calendar and its ending on December 21, 2012. Of course, over the last ten years or so, other people have jumped on the bandwagon by predicting the end of the world at the hands of alien invaders, returning Gods, alignments with the centre of the Universe, and even the coming of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

When you have all these thoughts, ideas, and predictions embedded in your subconscious mind it is hard to not be a little anxious. I didn't know what to expect when I woke up this morning. I just knew there was the possibility of something extraordinary happening. And, you know what? Something did happen.

The sun came up, the clouds moved in, the wind blew around the house making it creak, and it snowed. Well, snowed then rained, then snowed again. By the end of the day it was raining again. It is the first real moisture we have had since October and more than we normally get in December. It is also much warmer than usual for this time of year.

Unfortunately, that means the carrots, garlic, and onions I left in the garden are going to rot instead of hibernate. It's to bad really. There is nothing more satisfying than going out into the garden on the first warm day of the year and pulling fresh root vegetables. I like to tease my friends, and then share my harvest with them. Not so this year.

But, all is not lost. With the warmer than average temperatures it may be possible I will get my seeds into the garden earlier than expected. As long as the seeds grow instead of drown then I will still get an earlier than normal harvest to share with my friends and neighbours. Maybe I'll get a good harvest of peas, kale, and lettuce out of the garden before most people even think to plant their seeds. We can hope, and keep our fingers crossed.

No comments: