Sunday, October 28, 2012

End of Garden Goodness

I don't know how often this happens to anyone else, but every year I get a huge number of tomatoes after the first frost. Most of them are so green they are white, some of them are just starting to turn pink, and some of them are half and half. Many people look at that, shrug, and turn the whole thing under.

Rather than getting depressed and throwing away all these tomatoes I do the next best thing, I make salsa verde. It is the easiest thing in the world to make and even better it can be pressure sealed into jars for fresh salsa year round. The more tomatoes you get that are on the verge of ripening the better the salsa is.

Fresh Salsa Verde
15-20 lbs of green and partial green tomatoes diced
2 cps lime juice
1 cp dried cilantro
1/2 cp garlic powder
2 tspn of Cumi
2 Tbsn of Black Pepper
2 - 3 Tbspn of course salt
1 Tbsp pepper flakes or 5 fresh jalepeno

Place all ingredients into a large stainless steel pot and bring to a simmer.
While heating the salsa, wash and sterilize in boiling water 12 500ml jars, rings, and lids.
When the jars are ready, fill them with the hot salsa mix, wipe the rims, and add lids and ring.
Tighten each jar lid add to the boiling water of the canner, stacking them if need be, seal the canner and pressure seal the jars for 30 mins at 5lbs.

This is a tasty salsa and is not only good with chips, it can be used as a topping for chicken as well. As always follow the directions on the pressure canner.

4 comments:

mmp said...

tomatoes all drowned this year
:(

Dee said...

Sorry to hear that. We had a terribly dry summer this year. By the time we started getting enough rain it had cooled off to much for the tomatoes to properly ripen.

twebsterarmstrong said...

I happened on to your blog this evening. I am eager to try out this recipe with my own green tomato crop this week in rural Kansas. (I am trying to keep the tomatoes going till November 1st, just so I can say that I did!)

I am eager to read other posts you have written...

Severe Autism said...

I don't know why anyone would buy store made salsa nowadays. So simple to make and the end results so so good.
Thanks for your salsa recipe to try.