Tuesday, September 13, 2011

R.I.P. Freya

Owning and caring for animals, whose life spans are so much shorter than ours, can be a rewarding and heartbreaking experience. Freya was one of those. She brought me great joy and has now brought me great heartache.

Last Tuesday Freya disappeared and I thought she had managed to get out the backdoor when I when I went to collect eggs. We searched and called all all evening and all day the next day. Finally we put poster up all over the neighbourhood and called all the vets in case someone had found her.

Last night we found her inside the house. She had fallen in behind a heavy cabinet that we didn't even know she could climb. Our best guess is she broke her neck in the fall, but I feel terrible. Finding her in the house almost a week to the day that she disappeared and not knowing for sure is killing me.

We buried her in the back flower bed last night, burned some incense, and left a pile of her favourite treats for her spirit. We said some prayers, asked for forgiveness, and cried ourselves to sleep. She will never be forgotten.

3 comments:

Funder said...

Oh, how tragic. I'm so sorry for your loss!

Dee said...

Thank you Funder. I keep expecting her to jump into my lap and dump my water glass over.

E.M. Jeanmougin said...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry. :( It's heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet.