Sunday, July 17, 2011

Baronial Muster

PeterC and I decided to attend Baronial Muster this weekend. It was a three day camping event but we drove out for the day on Saturday. It was being held at Raven's Knoll campground out past Eganville, Ontario which is a 3.5 hour drive so we left home at 5:30 am. The drive was actually very pretty especially after we entered the Bonnechere Valley.

Usually we don't attend events being held so far away but there was ulterior motive on my part. Someone from Ottawa had been very kind and picked up some black walnut branches from Scarborough and wanted to give them to me at Baronial Muster. I had been told there would be a chance to authorize in armoured combat as well so I decided we were going.

The campground was beautiful and was bordered by a slow moving river. Even with such a beautiful site it was still very hot and no one really wanted to do much other than swim. As a result there was no armoured combat except some pick up fights later in the afternoon.

Since we had time to kill and the Baronial Archery tourney was being held at 11am we borrowed a bow and some arrows and decided to give our hands to archery. The tourney started very late, there was no shade, and the sun was very hot. Needless to say my face is sunburned very badly.

However, the tourney did eventually start and we took turns using the bow to do the various competitions. PeterC is a natural and once he got his range he did very well with the target shooting. In fact he did so well that he managed to come in 2nd place overall. Pretty good for the first time he ever used a bow in his life.

After the tourney we headed up to the fight area and armoured up. The gentlemen were willing to run me through a mock authorization to get me used to the process. I almost didn't pass the equipment inspection but luckily I had received my full gauntlets in the mail and they allowed me to continue.

We took the field and fighting began. I did really well with the normal hand and shield fighting, though I forgot to call the light blows. Something I seriously need to work on. I also did well when we moved to the knee fighting. Unfortunately, I did not do so well when we moved to the off hand portion of the test, nor with the quizzing on the rules and regulations. But now I know what I need to work on and I'll try again at Feast of the Hare.

As soon as the fighting was done we headed home. We left the campground later than planned but still managed to get home by 7:30pm, much to the relief of the puppies and the ferrets who had been in their kennel all day. It was a long day and I am suffering from sunburn and sore muscles today, but overall I think it was a good day. I doubt, though, that I will attend Baronial Muster again.

No comments: