Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Redux

Spring is back. Mother Nature only hit the snooze button, rather than turning off the alarm and going back to sleep. The ground is squishy, the sun is warm, the birds are moving in, and the snow is melting quickly.

The Grackles, Red Wing Blackbirds, and Starlings have been here for over a week taking advantage of the extra seed I put out for the Chickadees. The first Robin showed up yesterday afternoon, sitting in the crabapple tree as if he had been here all along. Even the geese are beginning to come home.

The desire to dig in the garden is fast becoming an imperative. I've finalized our produce plans for this year and even purchased the seeds. We are planting one bed of Green Peas, one bed of Bush beans, one bed of beets, one bed of carrots, and the largest bed is going to be split between shallots and garlic. If the garden goes well I'll be doing a lot of canning this fall. I am considering planting two tomato plants in the carrot bed just for the fresh tomato slices I love so much.

The herb bed is still in the planing stages but we always buy plants from the greenhouse, rather than starting them ourselves. Basil, thyme, hot peppers, and chamomile are the most likely annual plants. Rosemary, sage, chives, oregano, tarragon, catnip, mint, lemon balm, and marjoram are the perennial herbs we maintain each year. We will of course replant any of the perennials if they have died over the winter.

Of course there are the apple trees that should be blooming this year. The high bush cranberries that will be transplanted to their permanent location this year. If possible I am going to purchase three dwarf blueberries bushes to plant this year as well. I just wish we had enough room for all the other types of fruiting plants I would love to have - pears, cherries, sea buckthorn, goji berries, saskatoon berries, and honey berries.

Oh, to win the lottery. Then I can have the garden and orchard of my dreams. Along with the goats, horses, sheep, and all the other things I dream about. You know what they say..."IF you are going to dream, dream big." Until then I will just have to satisfy myself with my small little plot of land and make the most of the space I have available.

No comments: