Sunday, January 09, 2011

New Adventures

I have a great number of hobbies that all revolve around ancient crafts, interpreted in my own unique way, and the techniques employed by the peoples of the past. I am fascinated by archaeological finds surrounding the early British and Anglo-Saxon peoples, and their artwork.

With all that in mind I made a decision on January 2nd that I was going to try something new this year. I decided to join the Society for Creative Anachronism, here after referred to as the SCA. If you don't know anything about the SCA here is the blurb from their own website.
The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Participants, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which may feature tournaments, arts exhibits, classes, workshops, dancing, feasts, and more. Our "royalty" hold courts at which they recognize and honor members for their contributions to the group.
I've known about the SCA for years, having been introduced to the concept some 20 years ago when I still lived in Tennessee, but I never pursued the matter. As my interests in the various textile crafts grew I found more and more of the information I needed already organized by members of the SCA. This of course peaked my interest even more. The Medieval Festivals also encouraged my interest in the SCA.

While doing some research online I found a link to the main page of the SCA and the rest is history, so to speak. I joined the organization on January 2nd, and have spent the last week researching my areas of interest, making costuming for PeterC and myself in our respective historical fashion, and getting to know the people of Harrowgate Heath through email. We haven't met anyone face to face yet, but they seem like a friendly bunch and I am looking forward to meeting a few of them at the next scheduled fight practice.

What I am really looking forward to is finding people who are masters of weaving, nalbinding, metal smithing, and wood carving. With any luck they can teach me no only better techniques but also the forms that fit with my areas of historical interests. Hooray for new adventures and new chances for learning.

5 comments:

Becisz said...

invite me.; )

Funder said...

The SCA is good nerdy fun. ;) Looking forward to hearing about it!

Dee said...

Becisz - Invite you where? I'll delete your comment if you don't respond.

Funder - I'm hoping it is a lot of fun. I'm terrified of crowds and of meeting new people so this is a test of my abilities not only in sewing and weaving but also in people skills. BTW, are your chickens blaming you for the weather as much as mine are. I'm on their ignore list until it stops snowing, lol.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

I have no doubt that you will excel with this group. You are very talented.

Dee said...

Thanks Penny. My sewing machine gave up the ghost so my sewing has SLOOOWWED way down. I'll post pictures once I get things finished.