Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cock - a - Leekie Soup

There is something infinitely comforting about chicken soup or stew. I love it all especially if I am feeling under the weather, depressed, or just plain lonely. Normally I make chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumplings. Occasionally I'll make chicken and rice soup, especially good with wild rice. This week I had leeks, caught on sale at the grocers, and decided to give cock -a-leekie soup a try. I was very happy with the recipe and found the soup to be as satisfying and comforting as I could have wanted.

Cock -A - Leekie Soup
4 Chicken thighs - Skin on
2 Leeks - sliced into rings
1 - Bay leaf
2 - Carrots diced
1/2 cp Barley
2 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic
2 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Thyme

1) Place chicken thighs and sliced leeks in a large soup pot. Cover with water and simmer until the chicken is cooked.
2) Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
3) Add bay leaf, carrots, and spices. Simmer until carrots are just tender crisp.
4) Add Barley and simmer for about a 1/2 hour. Adjust spices if needed. I ended up adding another couple teaspoons of salt and more garlic at this point.
5) Chop chicken into 1/2 inch pieces, removing skin and bones. Add to soup pot and simmer until chicken is just warm.

Serve with fresh ground pepper on top and some dinner rolls. You can't ask for a nicer and more tasty way to eat chicken, leeks, and barley. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

4 comments:

Frangipan said...

It's just what you need when you are feeling the effects of the winter!

Steven Lynch said...

Just wanted to thank you for the Coffee Scoop pattern and idea in "Woodcarving Illustrated Presents: Hand Carved Holiday Gifts".

I'm gonna try and make a few of these for Christmas.

Dee said...

You are very welcome Steven. I hope you enjoy making them as much as I did.

Garden tips said...

Nice Blog. Keep up the excellent work ;)