Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sushi

PeterC loves sushi. Loves it! Unfortunately, there is no place within 100 km to get sushi. So I decided as a "Hey it's Fall and I love you" present I would learn how to make sushi. I did some Internet research and found out it is a lot easier than I thought it would be. Great! I made a shopping list and headed for the store.

Luckily, the local Food Basics carries all of the makings for sushi, except sushi rice go figure. I bought the roasted seaweed sheets, bean sprouts, sunflower sprouts, kohlrabi in place of the daikon radish, some fake crab meat, and three kinds of fish - snapper, halibut, and a marlin steak. Everything else I already had in the pantry. It turns out it is a good thing I like most Chinese food and keep the basics on hand.

PeterC was absolutely excited about the sushi and was on hand to help me make it, sampling bits of this and that to help me get the flavours right. I'm not a fish person and he wasn't willing to eat raw fish that wasn't fresh off the boat, which I can't blame him, so we cooked all the fish except a very tiny amount of snapper which I left raw.

To make sushi, you will need:
5 Roasted Seaweed sheets
1 cp Long grain rice - steamed and allowed to cool to room temperature
1/2 cp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp sea salt
Spicy Mayonnaise - if you want it for your fish
1 carrot - either shredded or cut into match sticks
1/2 English cucumber - sliced paper thin
1/2 Kohlrabi or daikon radish - sliced paper thin
1/2 cp bean sprouts
1/2 cp sunflower sprouts
Fish of choice - Canned tuna, fake crab, any mild flavoured steamed fish, or even make the sushi vegetarian

You can make the spicy mayo if you have garlic chili sauce, mayo, and soy sauce. Mix 1/2 cp mayo, 1 Tbsp chili sauce (more if you like it really spicy), and 2 Tbsp soy sauce.

1) Mix sugar, vinegar, and salt in a small sauce pan and heat only until sugar dissolves. Let it cool.
2) Once liquid is cool mix well with cooked rice.
3) Lay out 1 sheet of seaweed and spread a thin layer of rice starting at the edge closest to you. Leave 1.5 inches of seaweed exposed at the far edge. The rice is sticky so wet your hands to prevent it from sticking.
4) Spread a thin layer of mayo on the rice if desired.
5) This if the fun bit. At 1 inch from close edge place a 1 inch wide layer of vegetable, a layer of meat, and more vegetables in any combination you like. Make sure not to put a huge amount in but a thin layer of anything you want in a 1" wide x the width of the sheet area.
6) Use your fingers to hold the filling in place and roll the seaweed up into a tight tube. Slightly wet the exposed seaweed just before you get to it and roll the tube right to the edge. The wet seaweed will stick to itself keeping everything in.
7) Set the tube aside while you make more tubes repeating the process above.
8) Slice each tube into 5-7 rolls. Rolls should be about 1" thick.
9) Serve with soy sauce and wasabi paste on the side.

I did find out through this experience that even if I make the rolls vegetarian with no fish in them, I can't eat them. The seaweed puts me right off but then I'm not a big sea food kind of person. The rolls are very pretty to look at though and I can see serving a mix of vegetarian and spicy, cooked fish sushi as an appetizer or part of an hors d'oeuvres table at a party.

The best part was PeterC loved them and even though he couldn't eat anywhere near as many as he said he could, he was more than willing to eat the leftovers the next day for lunch and again for supper. I even made him a bunch for his lunch on Monday for worked and he really enjoyed them then too. He liked them so much he is willing to keep the fixings on hand for those days when he starts craving sushi, though I expect that won't be for a couple more weeks yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was really sweet of you!
Peter showed me them and they were very beautiful. I agree that it would make a beautiful appetizer tray at a party. He`s a lucky guy.

Take care,

L,