Thursday, May 20, 2010

What is Love?

What is Love? This is a question that has plagued mankind since we crawled out of the muck and learned to think about such useless things. I know this question has plagued me since my first marriage fell apart and my Mother announced in a knowing tone that she knew it wasn't Love.

Over the years I have discovered many things about Love. Love is the ability to sit in silence together. Love is making compromises without keeping score. Love is not having to swallow your pride because pride doesn't come into the equation. Love is the ability to be completely honest with each other. The most important thing I have learned, so far, is that Love is the ability to work elbow to armpit with someone for several hours without the intense desire to murder them. Maybe poke them with something sharp and pointy, but not murder them.

When I said elbow to armpit, I literally mean elbow to armpit. You see, this weekend we were installing the new window into the bathroom and it is a very small bathroom. The bathroom is 5 feet by 6 feet. The window is 1/2 inch, yes inch, from the wall that normally holds the door into the bathroom. The toilet is opposite the door and is only 6-8 inches from the other side of the window. That gave us about 3 feet to stand side by side to test fit, level, and finally install the window.

The window is installed, most of the mouldings have been installed and stained, and the bathroom is finally coming together. We are waiting for some shower door hardware to arrive. Once the staining is completed we have to caulk around the window. We have to do some touch-up paint on the walls. And we have to stain and install the new bathroom door which we finally decided on and purchased this week. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the progress.

I am also pretty happy with my progress on working out exactly what love is. I don't think I will ever know everything about Love. The things I do know about it, and the many trials that have led to that knowledge, makes me realize that I am truly in Love. I also know I am looking forward to the next adventure that fills in another blank or two on the subject.

No comments: