Saturday, April 24, 2010

Such a Magical Place

It is days like today when I realize that Sparrow Haven is a very magical place to live.

While doing some yard work I wandered over to the flower bed behind the garage, with the intent of removing a tarp we have in place to kill off weeds. A mourning dove was on the tarp picking at the leaf litter from last year. As I walked to the edge of the bed, she calmly walked to the far side of the bed and looked to see what I was going to do next.

All I did was stand and look back at her. I've always had a soft spot for mourning doves and this one was so pretty it brought a lump to my throat. The fact that she allowed me to stand less than 5 feet from her made the lump turn into a frog. As I stood and watched her she went back to her foraging, at times walking to within a couple feet of me. It gave me an indescribable feeling knowing she felt I was no threat and was willing to come so close.

I watched her for a few minutes and decided the tarp could wait for another day, when the mourning dove had moved on to another place. And, if it turns out she is there again then I guess the tarp will wait for another month, or maybe even next year.

No comments: