Sunday, April 11, 2010

And Renovations Continue

It is amazing how spoiled I have become. Last weekend we were able to finally get the tub surround and fixtures installed. PeterC and I drew lots to figure out who got to take the first shower. I won and spent the next 20 minutes with hot water sluicing, oh so luxuriously, over my body. I'm pretty sure there was a moment of transcendental mind shift when I glimpsed Nirvana, or maybe it was all the blood rushing to my skin and away from my internal organs. Either way, it was a very delightful sensation.

During the week, I worked on filling nail pops and low areas with drywall goop and started the paint job. Mind you I could only do part of the wall as we were still waiting for the shower door people cabinet and sink people to call. But, I was able to get two, and in one place three, coats of paint put on the ceiling of the shower and onto to new drywall just outside the shower with a brush.

The paint we chose was CIL Premium Kitchen and Bath paint. It was expensive, at just over $35 a gallon but we figured the extra quality now would save us frustration in the long run. I must say we are quite happy we went with the better paint. The section that has already had three coats of paint is very smooth and glossy. What little water that splashes around the jury rigged shower curtain beads up and is easy to wipe off. Even cat paw prints wipe off easily. The can says the paint includes a ceramic layer as well as mold and mildew inhibitors, which will prevent any issues from the steam, splashes, and sweating toilet in the summer time.

The sink and vanity arrived Wednesday, so yesterday PeterC and I ripped out the old sink, patched the holes and such with drywall goop, and applied the first layer of paint to those areas. Today PeterC took out the toilet and we painted the rest of the bathroom with a coat of paint. Later this evening, a second cost of paint will be put on, the flooring put in, and the toilet put back into place.

That will leave a third coat of paint for me to do this week as well as the final caulking around the edges of the tub surround. We are still waiting to hear from the shower door people to find out when they will be arriving to install the door mouldings and cut the template for the shower glass. We are also still waiting for the window we ordered to arrive so we can install it. And, finally, we still have to stain and install the floor, door, and window mouldings.

After all that has been completed, then I will take some photos to share with you all.

No comments: