Saturday, February 20, 2010

Gardening Bug!

The weather was very mild this week and we even had a couple of days with sunny skies. Maybe that explains why the gardening bug has hit me hard this week. All I can think about is getting out in the garden and planting this years crop of goodies. I've even been dreaming about gardening, which you must admit is a little bizarre.

I sat down Monday with the seed catalogues and made a list of everything I wanted to grow. This I went through each catalogue and made a list of things to order. Tomatoes and beans from Terra Edibles. Herbs, potatoes, and cucumbers from Dominion Seed House. Ground cover, herbs, and blueberries from Henry Fields. Henry Fields is a new nursery to my collection this year. I received a catalogue from them through Harrowsmith's Magazine. They carry a lot of things I haven't seen anywhere else, like buckwheat and hairy vetch.

I looked through the catalogues each day this week and added or subtracted, yeah right!, things from my order forms. Today I sat down and went to each places online ordering page and placed my ordering. Of course, I added a few things to each list as I went through each nurseries online catalogue. By the end of my shopping spree I had spent $200.00 on seeds and plants for this years garden, and already have a list of plants I plan to order later this spring or next spring.

So in no particular order here is my gardening list for this year.
Vegetables: Cranberry Beans, Speckled Calico Lima Beans, Straight 8 Cucumbers, Miss Pickler Hybrid Cucumbers, Summer Cabbage, Winter Cabbage, Mesclan Garden Mix, Hot Pepper Variety, Yukon Gold Potatoes, and Field Corn
Herbs: Hyssop, Catnip, Winter Savory, Summer Savory, Garlic, Spearmint, Dill, Chamomile, Basil, Chives, Garlic Chives, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, and Borage.
Fruit: Tomatillos, Brandywine Red Tomatoes, Ground Cherries, Coldset Hybrid Tomatoes, Cranberry Tree, Semi Dwarf Northland Blueberry, and Dwarf Tophat Blueberry.
Ground Cover: Buckwheat, Clover, Hairy Vetch.

We've also decided that we are going to plant Sea Buckthorn either later this year or Spring next year. Sea Buckthorn is a fruit shrub from Asia and is sold at Dominion- Seed-House. It is hardy to zone 1 and resists road salt. This is great for us and will be used to partially replace the out of control cedar hedge at the front of the yard. So, not only will we cut the hedge back but we will be able to replace it with a fruiting shrub to add vitamin C to our winter diet.

No comments: