Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year!

2009 saw a lot of changes at Sparrow Haven. We've added chickens to our menagerie at home and added two horses who are stabled off site. I took the plunge and started Chestnut Tree Creations to sell my home made items, and in the last three weeks I have sold enough to pay for all the special wood, tools, and other stuff I have invested this year. All in all it was a good year.

We rang in 2010 in typical Sparrow Haven fashion. We ate fried pierogies baked with onions, cheese, and salami chunks for supper, watched a movie, and went to bed before midnight. Snuggled in a warm bed with spouse and cats is the best way to ring in the New Year.

Today we spent the new year doing chores. I actually had to clean the chicken coop completely out as the chickens have taken to dumping their water each night. Today was actually warm enough to get the wet shavings and straw out of their coop and put in fresh ones. The old wet shavings went into their run and tractor which seem to have made the girls very happy as they are using their tractor again. I guess it gives them some insulation against the frozen leaves.

I am making a big feast of glazed ham steaks, steamed veggies, sweet potato fries, and cake with caramel sauce. Yum! It'll be good to eat something substantial and with side dishes. We've chilled a couple bottles of wine; a sweet passover wine for myself and a Boca Noir for PeterC. I'll give the Noir a taste but I suspect I'll stick with my sweet red.

I'm looking forward to the new year. Plans for the garden are already running through my head, as are ideas for changes I want to make to the chicken's living space. I'm really hoping my recent sales is just the tip of the iceberg and I find myself making sales every week. Not only will that bring in some extra cash to cover future costs of my hobbies but it will let me do something with my hobbies other than filling up boxes with unused items. I'm looking forward to another year with my spouse. Thirteen years has been a good start but thirteen more would be even better. And, finally, I am looking forward to learning, living, and loving.

Here is hoping 2010 brings many new delights to you and yours.

1 comment:

PeterC said...

13 years? IT doesn't feel a day over 6!

Hehe, love ya hon!

P.S. For those who know, my two new horses have passed their coggin's test! Yea!