Sunday, December 13, 2009

Egg Eater!

We have an egg eater and I am so disappointed. One of the hens has decided that all the work of the other hens is there for her to crush and eat. I know we have an egg eater because I have found empty and cracked eggs for the last three days.

We normally get 7-9 eggs a day but Friday was the worst. We only got 3 eggs and one of those had been pecked hard enough to leave a gaping hole. While cleaning out the broken egg I found 3 crushed egg shells, and Queenie was dead set on eating the shells before I took them away from her.

Needless to say I suspect Queenie is the egg eater, but I am refraining from putting her in freezer camp until I know for sure she is the culprit. Problem is I can't catch her doing it so all I can do is check for eggs two or three times a day and feed all the hens extra calcium, which is never a bad thing. I'm also giving them warm mash each day which includes oats, barley, cat food, and of course calcium supplement. Occasionally I'll had some fruit to the mash just to give them a treat.

As you can see by the photo the chickens don't seem to mind the snow much. They don't care for the deeper snow and if they accidentally get into the deeper snow they will stand there until PeterC or I wade out to rescue them. But, where I have scraped the snow to make paths, they are more than will to wander and scratch around until they find a bit of exposed grass to munch on.

No comments: