Sunday, October 25, 2009

Slowing Down

It is getting to that time of year when I seem to run out of things to say for awhile. The garden is done, the trees are dropping their leaves, and I tend to curl up with a cat or two and turn in to a potato. This will go on for a few weeks and then I am back to being my weird self again. Maybe it is the lessening daylight hours, or maybe I am part squirrel and after the frantic harvest I just want to hibernate.

PeterC has decided to do some volunteer work for a local horse rescue, once a week. Last week he was gone all day Saturday and this week it is today. I like having a few hours of quiet time and really should be working, but it is hard to get motivated when there is a warm fire and sleeping animals all around. Of course that is my current excuse for not getting my work done. The truth is, I am afraid I'll mess up and have to redo the whole project.

I was asked to write an article for a magazine which requires that I carve a few scoops. The first scoop went well, was finished quickly, and looked very nice. The second scoop got screwed up at the very last part of the carving. The second attempt at the 2nd scoop got screwed up during the shaping stage. I finished the 3rd shaping out of the 2nd scoop just a couple of days ago and it has been staring at me, challenging me to pick it up.

I am ahead of schedule but I don't like letting things sit until the last minute. So once I finish this post I am going to head into the studio and work on my scoop. If I am lucky, or good, I'll get it finished tomorrow and will be able to start the third scoop on Tuesday. Once the article has been published I will post pictures of the finished scoops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your article writing. I'm anxious to get a look at it. Happy carving.

L.