Sunday, May 24, 2009

Time Lapse Flu

Well, it seems PeterC brought the flu home from work. One thing led to another and the next thing I know it is two weeks later and I am still on and off again feverish, with a killer headache. This is not a typical flu for sure. With the common flu I get feverish for a couple of days and sleep for 48 hours. When I wake up I am hungry, weak, and cured. Within a few hours of eating I am back to my normally frumpy self.

This flu is something else indeed. Or maybe it wasn't the flu and just some very strange virus, but it has been a real joy kill. I woke up with a headache and a fever May 21st. Even wrapping up in sweaters and blankets wasn't enough to keep me from shivering. I took aspirin, drank plenty of water, and slept as much as possible.

Fast forward to Tuesday, this week, and I'm feeling less cold but my head and teeth are killing me. I assumed at first that it was a sinus headache, but it didn't go away when the weather cleared up. I'm also as weak as a kitten. I tried two or three times to clean the house or even wash dishes and I felt like I'd been run over by a herd of horses. Not so much sore but having a hard time catching my breath and just plain tired.

I spent a good part of Thursday afternoon laying in my hammock and trying to catch my breath after weeding the garden. Friday I went outside and put the hose on and weeded some more garden before I had to rest again. Yesterday, was the first day I was able to spend more than 20 minutes working without getting tired. I managed to spend three hours outside burning off the winter accumulation of branches and twigs. Of course I suffered the consequences afterwards as my fever came back full blown and my head hurt so bad I wanted to cry.

This morning my head is only slightly painful and I don't feel feverish at all. I guess time will tell if I am finally over this thing. I figure I either cured myself by getting hot by the fire, or I've set myself back a few more days by pushing myself to hard.

3 comments:

PeterC said...

Amen, this ain't a fun flu at all...

PeterC

Anonymous said...

My brother's had it for over 4 weeks; 3 types of antibiotics later and he is getting worse again. He is off to see his Doctor tomorrow.

My hubby started his same time that Peter started his and he still cannot smell or taste anything and has bad sinus headaches. He missed a week of work and still feels crappy.

I started last Wednesday night and the worse was over by last night. Hope it holds. Hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

L.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Oh no - I am SO Sorry. We had a touch of it or something kind of similar around here, but not as bad as you, PeterC, and others. Nasty, nasty stuff - and the worst of it is that it just seems to go on forever. I hope you continue to feel better and get stronger.