Sunday, May 10, 2009

Garden Pictures - As Promised

I finally got around to getting PeterC, the photography of the family, to take some good pictures of the garden. He didn't take pictures of the rhubarb, strawberries, herb boxes, or flower gardens which also contain some herbs. I'll try to get them in another post.

Here you see the lettuce, in the blue bins, and the 3rd bed in behind that. I've planted cucumber in with the lettuce which haven't sprouted yet. The third bed includes my pole beans, summer squash, winter squash, and a half row of hot peppers all of which are taking their own sweet time about sprouting.

Here we have a shot of the whole garden, including the columnar apples we planted last year. The apples are only just starting to leaf out. To the right of the garden, just out of frame, is where the strawberries and rhubarb are planted.


The 2nd bed, home of my potato experiment my broccoli and my beets. I'm really hoping the potatoes do really well since the price of potatoes have skyrocketed over the last few months. We prefer Yukon Golds over any other variety and on top of the high prices the Yukon Gold potatoes are hard to find in the stores anymore. The beets and broccoli have started to sprout. If you look closely you can see a cluster of green in the last row before the straw. That is broccoli. At this stage the beets look like the weeds and it is all I can do to not pluck them when I see them growing along the strings.


And, finally, we have the first bed. You can see how well the spinach is doing. We'll be eating fresh spinach in another week or so. The carrots, at the bottom of the picture have started sprouting but they are still to small to really show up well in the pictures.

No comments: