Sunday, March 15, 2009

The World Looks a Little Brighter

The world is definitely looking a little brighter this week. The sun has been out for the last couple of days, the air warm when the wind isn't blowing, the grass showing more and more from under the snow, and the birds are singing. A small corner of one of the raised beds has finally shown itself from under the snow and that means the soil is beginning to warm up.

We woke yesterday to the cacophony of the Red Winged Blackbirds as they moved in and started setting up territories and looking for mates. This morning the yard is full of Grackles looking for their first free meal of the year. Even the Chickadees and Sparrows are making a lot of noise today. I expect to see Geese flying over and Robins hopping around the yard any day now.

I'm looking forward to the flowers blooming, especially the crocus which should be coming up as soon as the soil is thawed out. I can only hope the squirrels left a few bulbs in the ground to come up again this year. The daffodils should be starting to come up in the next couple of weeks and then the flower beds will explode with greenery. Ah Spring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spring is definitely here. We saw our first robin sightings yesterday and the geese have been flying north for the past week. We also notice that the sun is much warmer on our faces when we go walking. It's really uplifting. The bulbs are already peeking through the ground in the courtyard at work.

L.

Dee said...

The geese were on the river Sunday night and Robins were hopping around Monday morning. Still no bulbs yet. I'm beginning to think the squirrels ate all my bulbs last fall. I do hope at least some of them survived to bloom again this year. Otherwise, I'll be making another order for crocus bulbs this year.

Anonymous said...

We also have a lot of squirrels and rabbits but they seem to leave the bulbs alone. DD noticed that the tulips and daffodils are up about 1-2 inches. Hopefully yours come up in the next week. I was at a gardening seminar last Wednesday night and the speaker said it was time for the flowers and vegetables to be started indoors. That's all I need to hear. We'll be going out to the gardening departments on Saturday to buy our supplies. I'm going to try Pro Mix this year. I heard a lot of people raving about it at the seminar. I'm going to put this in all my flower boxes as well.

L.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

We've seen geese flying over the past week or so - and my bulbs are starting to coming up now. I'm starting my seeds in the greenhouse this weekend. And I am SO ready for spring!! I hope your crocus start popping out soon!