Saturday, March 28, 2009

Crocus Sprouts

Yes!, they finally sprouted. Well, a few of them have but if a few survived then I can hope that more will come up. The daffodils are sprouting too. Soon the yard will be a mottled brown with specks of yellow, blue, purple, and pink. I love the colours of Spring.

PeterC took me shopping for my birthday yesterday. We hit Walmart, the only place I know to buy yarn in town, and I bought several skeins of lovely variegated coloured cotton, wool, and even some acrylic. I had originally planned on only using natural materials for my weaving but there are colours and weights that are only available in acrylic. Oh, but the range of colours I managed to get. I already have my next scarf planned in my head. Now I just need to get it planned on paper and finish up the one I'm working on.

PeterC also took a few moments to take a picture of the belt I just finished and the hat band I made for him. I posted progress pictures of the hat band but not the finished product. I'm quite proud of both of these projects and they both taught me quite a lot about this new hobby.

Here is the hat band on his winter hat and a picture that lets you see the front and back. It is made from 100% cotton crochet thread. This weaving was done double-faced, so the front and back are almost perfect negatives of each other. The glitter is the result of a single metallis thread that was part of the white crochet thread. I think it looks really nice.











Here is the belt I just finished. It is made from the same crochet thread as the hat band above. It is quite small, sized to fit a young child or a really petite teenager, and is only 3/4 inch wide. I've included the closeup shots of the front and back as well as the way it is meant to be tied. Decorative weights could be added to the braided ends should it be desired. This belt was woven using the threaded in method and a simple 8 turns forward and 8 turns backward turning sequence.

2 comments:

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Oh no - I didn't know it was your birthday! Well, happy late birthday and I hope you had a wonderful time.

I LOVE the hat band and belt. Very, very nice. And I stand by my statement that you getting ALL the talent is not fair! Not fair at all. But I sure do enjoy seeing the pictures of all the lovely things you make.

Dee said...

Don't worry, you didn't miss it. My birthday isn't until tomorrow but he took me shopping already. He was surprised I chose yarn over a band saw, which is what I asked for, but he was letting me buy what I wanted.

Thank you for the compliments.