Saturday, February 28, 2009

Studio Work

I've been busy doing carving in the studio this week. I've carved a couple of utensils for my kitchen, received an order for another tie clip from one of PeterC's coworkers, and carved a new utensil to put up for sale. In addition to that we've managed to get the apple trees pruned, saving several pieces for carving later.


Name: Sourdough Wand
Wood: White Pine
Finish: Watco Butcher Block Sealer

You can't use metal to stir sourdough starter, due to chemical reactions, so up to now I have been using the end of a wooden spoon or a bamboo screwer. I decided I needed something a little more practical and this is what I came up with. I've carved one of these for myself and one to sell.






Name: Coffee Scoop
Wood: Basswood
Finish: Walnut Oil and oil from coffee grounds

The picture here is of the scoop freshly finished with oil. Over time and with use the oils found in coffee grounds will stain the wood a rich brown, hopefully bringing out the details of the chip carved handle.







Here is the tie clip I have created in response to the special order placed through PeterC. The main body is cherry while the inlay is wenge end grain and basswood strips. The overall length is almost 3 inches. I suspect it will be to wide and I'll have to cut a 1/4 inch off each end to make it smaller. This has not been oiled yet so you are seeing the bare wood here.

4 comments:

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Beautiful! Every one of them. You are so talented. The coffee scoops are my favorite. I wish I'd seen them before Christmas or my birthday. One of those coffee scoops is definitely on my wish list! But everything you make is so awesome....
the details are just jaw droppingly beautiful.

Take care,
Penny

Dee said...

Wow, high praise Penny. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Penny, they are all beautiful. I also love that coffee scoop and I will keep my eyes out for the tie clip. Thanks for the pics.

I'm sure your thoughts are quickly turning to gardening now that March is here.

L.

Dee said...

Thanks for taking a look L.

Most of my seeds have arrived and I am itching to get out in the garden. I've been thinking about starting some seeds indoors but I know it is still to early to do it. I'll just have to look at pictures of gardens for another 3 weeks.