Monday, February 16, 2009

Life and Death

I am the first to admit that I root for the runt of any litter, clutch, or herd. I've always felt the little guy needs a hand up and a little extra feed every once in a while. My house and paycheck are far to small for all the foundlings that I see who need a little extra care and love. I do what I can for them and pray they do well.

This past summer we had a tiny, little runt of a Chickadee fluttering around from feeder to feeder trying desperately to pull seeds are to large for himself through the mesh. The other birds chased him from the feeders and he was definitely the worse for wear. His feathers were bedraggled and he had rather large bald spots where the other birds chased and pecked at him.

As much as I would have loved to catch him and bring him inside to be pampered, I had to let nature take her course. If he survived in the wild, he and his offspring would be the better for it. Sure enough, as the summer grew into fall, Scruffy started filling out and growing his feathers back. He still was tiny compared to the other Chickadees and he still looked a tad bedraggled but he was doing well for himself. I smiled every time I saw him because he was quite the cheeky little fellow, though still not able to stand up physically to the larger birds.

Saturday, when I went out do the weekly bird feeder filling, I found Scruffy dead under the Crabapple tree. His favourite place to roost and feed. He was laying under the platform feeder that the Red Squirrel has claimed as his own, chasing any and all intruders from it when he sees them. I can only assume that is what happened to Scruffy. He was bullied by either the Red Squirrel or one of the other larger birds and couldn't get away quick enough. His cheeky little calls and daring flybys will be missed.

2 comments:

PeterC said...

G'bye Scruffy...

Let's hope that you have seeds and chicks a plenty on the other side....

PeterC

Ian said...

Life and death is on my mind too. It's cold and perfect pig killing weather, which is what I must do tomorrow.

I come to you because you were recommended to me by Back to Basic Living and you can see a post about you at http://farmblogs.blogspot.com/2009/02/back-to-basic-living-recommends.html

Farm Blogs From Around the World is a place to to gather in one place the best farm blogs from around the world. Recommended farm blogs are asked to send a brief email (to info AT ianwalthew.com) about their farm/smallholding and their blog, and to include their own recommended farm blogs. I then make a posting. If it gets any more complicated that that, then....well, the idea is that it doesn't get much more complicated than that.

I would very much appreciate it if you could please consider:

a) writing to me with your (up to) Top 5 farm recommendations - not currently listed on my blog; particularly from countries not yet represented or under represented. I am particularly interested in blogs from the UK, New Zealand, South America, Asia and Africa at the moment. The proper name of the blog, the exact url, the location and one sentence on why you like it is perfect, but if pressed for time, just the links. U.S blogs are fine, but we have a lot and I am trying really hard to find good bloggers in different parts of the world, but if your list is all-American, no drama.

b) send me permission to use up to 5 photos from your site for a one off usage so that with your text I can make a posting about you;

b) add a link on your website, if that's possible, to www.farmblogs.blogspot.com; and if you can find a moment even make a posting about www.farmblogs.blogspot.com and how this blog is growing organically across the world from other farming bloggers. (Because you have been recommended in this way you are on the blog roll for Canada.)

I know this is a drag but a lot of people are finding that my blog is driving traffic to them and are finding it a great source of quality blogs about farming so I hope you can find a moment to drop me a line.

I very much hope to hear from you, and thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this. When you do I'll get you up and running as soon as possible.

With kind regards,

Ian

www.farmblogs.blogspot.com
www.ianwalthew.com