Sunday, January 11, 2009

Of Snow and Birds

I spent a couple of hours shovelling snow Thursday, the day after the snow storm. It was nice to get out in the fresh air and even nicer to exercise muscles that have gone soft with the winter slow down. Of course I was sore the next day, but not as sore as expected. That bodes well for my ability to get the garden tilled and planted without to much pain this coming Spring.

While I was playing with the snow I watched as several small, sparrow like birds attacked the thistle seed feeder and bullied each other non-stop. It was quite amusing to watch, especially when one of these small birds would frighten a true sparrow off the feeders. Some research in our bird books revealed that the noisy, bickering little tyrants were none other than Pine Siskins. I had seen them during the summer but mistook them for young female Gold Finches. With any luck that means they are nesting in the area and will help to keep my weeds and pests under control.

We made our weekly shopping trip into town Friday night and found the Seed displays have already been put up. PeterC asked if I was getting twitchy yet, which I usually am by now, and I had to answer no. Don't get me wrong, I've been thinking about the garden and what I want to plant this year but I haven't felt that uncontrollable urge to plant seeds in soil yet. I suspect I won't feel that urge until late February or early March. I also suspect it will be mid-May before I can plant the majority of the garden. It just feels like a late Spring is in the works.

No comments: