Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sparrow Haven Smoked Meat

It was a dreary and wet weekend, to wet to do anything in the yard except run the smoker. We took the thickest three corned beefs and smoked them for 6 hours using pecan wood chips. If you have never smelled pecan wood burning then you are missing out. It is now my favourite wood for smoking beef.

After the smoking was done we brought them into the house, since it was getting dark outside, wrapped them in foil and placed them in a 200ºF oven for 4 hours. We turned the oven off and left them to finish cooking as they slowly cooled off. The house smelled so good my stomach growled most of the night and I couldn't wait to slice them for sandwiches.

Yesterday evening we pulled out our little electric slicer and sliced all three roasts as thin as possible. Unfortunately the slicer we have isn't great so we could only get 1/8 inch slices at best. After the meat was sliced we set up several sandwich packs, picking the largest and leanest slices, to be frozen for later use. The really fatty pieces and the small pieces that couldn't be used for sandwiches were packed into a separate bag to be mixed in with potatoes to make smoked meat hash.

Of course we tasted a few pieces and kept some out to make sandwiches for today. Over all I am happier with this years product than last years. Last year's meat was very salty and had a bitter rind from the smoking. This year's product is barely salty and the rind is sweet rather than bitter. Did I mention pecan is now my favourite wood for smoking? "Montreal Style Smoked Meat" move over. There is a new kid in town.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Sounds delicious! Wish I were there to taste.

Janet

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Hi Dee - those roasts sound absolutely wonderful! What time should I be there for supper ;-)

I hope you'll accept the "Premium Dardos Award" I'm giving you for your blog. I enjoy your blog and appreciate your contributions. If you accept, you can post the image of it by copying it from my blog at http://backtobasicliving.com/blog/hey-i-got-a-blog-award/ I think this is a great way for blogger to honor and promote each other.

Take care,
Penny