Friday, November 07, 2008

Fall Chores

We were blessed with a week of warm weather so I've been trying to finish up the fall chores before the next wave of rain hits. Fall is normally a rainy season here and it gets hard to get the basic chores done before the winter sets in. More often than not we leave a layer of leaves on the ground and the garden doesn't get turned until the following spring. On top of all that I decided it was time to move the large wooden compost bin to another low section of the yard.

If you want to find out how in shape you are, try moving 500lbs of dirt with a wheelbarrow and a shovel. I found out the hard way that I am not in as good a shape as I should be. Right now my thighs and lower back are stiff and sore. Stiff enough to make PeterC smirk when he sees me trying to get down the stairs. I can't blame him, since I do look really silly trying to navigate the stairs without bending my legs to much.

So over the last few days I have successfully, if painfully, managed to get a good portion of chores done. I've moved the compost bin; spread the dirt from the bin throughout the lower areas of the yard; removed the fencing from the garden beds; turned the soil in the second garden bed; emptied the soil from the smaller kitchen waste bins into the first bed; started turning the soil in the third bed; and planted a rhubarb root ball given to me by an ex-coworker. Even with all that I still have plenty to do and only another day or two of warm, but wet weather to get it all done in.

No comments: