This project is beginning to feel like an epic. We are on day 24 of what we thought would be a 10 day project. It is amazing how much work you can do for so little progress. But, when I walk out into the room I can see that we have done a lot of work and can see just how much progress we have made. We have doors and windows that don't leak air. We have a solid, if somewhat squeaky, floor. Best of all we have plans for where to go from here and the experience to get it all done. All that from a "simple" renovation of a 10 x 9 mudroom.
While PeterC was at work I applied the last coat of paint to the ceiling and removed the blue painters tape from the wall. To my horror the tape "that won't pull off paint" pulled large sections of primer off the wall. I tried pulling it fast; I tried slow; and I tried glacial speed. It didn't make any difference to the amount of damage the tape did. I'll have to figure out a different way to keep from getting wall paint on the ceiling.
Speaking of wall paint...When PeterC got home from work we headed up to BMR and purchased three gallons of our chosen colour and several of the casing pieces we need for the windows. I spent a good part of the afternoon researching window casing ideas and found a site that showed how to use three different mouldings to create a cornice above the window so I knew what I wanted even before we went up there.
Unfortunately, I was so excited to be buying the mouldings that I forgot some essential pieces, the pieces that lay flat against the the frame to hide the gaps around the inserts. It is going to take three days to paint the walls, allowing a day for each coat to dry. In that time I can get the mouldings we do have painted with a semi-gloss white and hopefully get the cornices built and ready to install. By then we will have made another tripto BMR to purchase the forgotten pieces.