Sunday, December 30, 2007

Anniversaries

Yesterday was a day of anniversaries for us. It was the 11th anniversary for us as a couple and it was the 4th anniversary of our purchasing this place that has become home. I don't know which anniversary is the biggest surprise as time seems to have gotten away from us, again.

It seems like only a few years ago that PeterC and I were introduced to each other through mutual acquaintances. People who predicted we would never make it past our second anniversary when PeterC and I announced our engagement. In the end they were wrong, but I admit that it hasn't been a faerie tale either. We've had to work through some tough issues but we've come out the stronger couple for those issues.

I think the house anniversary is the biggest surprise for me. I look around at all the things we've accomplished here and I know we've been here a while. But, when I look at the list of things that still have to be done I feel as if we've only just begun and that makes the time we've been here seem so short. I guess I expected to get more done in the time we've had but I have to admit that we have slowly but surely been working our way through the rather long list of things to be done.

As the New Year approaches it gives us the opportunity to review our previous years' progress and make plans for this coming year. There is a garden to plant and tend, there are renovations to plan for and do, and there is life to be lived as fully and as completely as possible. In my darker moods I feel over whelmed by the amount of work that still has to be done, but there is a challenge there as well. A challenge to be met with determination, planning, and hard work. A challenge I will meet head on as the New Year begins, and as another anniversary is added to our time here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on both anniversaries, guys!

It looks like you have accomplished a lot in that place this year. Take a day or two to enjoy what you have done before worrying about what needs to be done. One project at a time...

Have a good new year.
-e.