Sunday, November 11, 2007

Cathedral Spoon

Title: Cathedral Spoon
Wood Species: Birch
Starting Size: 6" x 1"
Technique: Standard Carving using a knife
Finishing: NaturOil

I started this spoon some months ago and finally decided to finish it up and post some pictures. It was carved from a piece of hardwood purchased from Home Depot. I'm almost positive it was Birch. I guess I need to start keeping a diary of what I carve and what it is carved from, especially since I tend to start something and finish it months later.

This wood is far harder than anything else I have carved to date and I found it quite difficult to work with. The outline work was fairly easy, as long as the knife was very sharp. The bowl and heart required a lot of work, concentration, and constant sharpening and honing of my knife blade. I love the look of the finished piece and have already started a more complicated spoon in the same wood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, very nice Dee. You really did a super job on this spoon. Carved spoons are my favorite type of carving. Don't forget to bring it in when you come back to work. We miss you. Take care.

L

Janet said...

I love your cathedral spoon. You did a very good carving.

Janet