Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Heron & Crane Window Brace

Title: Window Brace #4
Wood Species: Scrap Pine
Starting Size: 3 x 15 x 1/2 " Stepped Window Brace
Technique: Geometric and Freestyle Chip Carving
Finishing: Light gel stain and 2 heavy coats of Urethane.


The most recent in the series of decorative window braces used to prop open the old sash windows in the house. It was the blank sides of the original window brace that prompted me to try and fall in love with the looks of chip carving. I am not a master and will most likely never be a master, but the carvings fit our lifestyle and the age of our home.

The birds are taken from two different pattern books and adapted to suit the overall picture I wanted to create. The pine tree, fish, water, and dragonflies are my own patterns based on my limited artistic skills.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again you did an amazing job Dee.

One of these days I'll convince you to start up a business: eBay, local market, etc.

-e.

Dee said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Ebay hasn't worked out for me so well in the past so I doubt seriously that I'd consider ebay a valid business opportunity.