Sunday, September 02, 2007

Harry Mclean's Pub

It was a beautiful day and we decided to take the trip out to Merrickville to visit the shops we had missed the first trip out. We left home early and decided to skip breakfast and find a nice place to eat in Merrickville. It was a great decision. Every once in a while a meal will come along that will be so good that you just have to talk about it to everyone you meet. We had just such a meal yesterday at Harry Mclean's Pub in Merrickville.

Harry Mclean's is a small pub that is a resident of a Historical Site that was once home of the largest dry goods store west of Montreal, or so the staff informed us. The pub's outdoor patio is in the fact the inner courtyard created by the coming together of several buildings. We chose the courtyard because it was a lovely day and the courtyard was nice and quiet. For the first 30 minutes or so we were the only couple occupying the courtyard with it's neatly trimmed grass, burbling fountain, and plastic outdoor furniture.

I ordered a burger with Caramelized Onions and Swiss Cheese. The burger came with fries so I upgraded to Sweet Potatoes Fries. The food arrived within 15 minutes of placing our order and it was delicious. The burger was tender and juicy and the fries were crispy and sweet in the way that only sweet potatoes can be. The onions were done perfectly and the sweetness of the onions accented the burger perfectly.

PeterC ordered the Parmesan Crusted Chicken on Fettuccine with Garlic Cream Sauce. The chicken breast was quite large without being to thick. Under the crispy coating of the Parmesan cheese it was cooked all the way through and juicy. The noodles were thick and we decided that they must have been hand made though it wasn't mentioned on the menu. The garlic cream sauce was a exactly that, a garlic cream sauce. It was very garlicky, which is something most restaurants do not do well, but otherwise it was a little bland. Some salt and pepper added to the noodles helped to balance all the flavours and made it much more enjoyable.

The hardest part about the experience was getting the bill. We waited patiently at our table for half and hour or so and stood in the kitchen entrance for another 20 minutes. The line chef passed the word up the to the waitress who promptly forgot us. We rang the courtesy bell and asked the person who answered the bell for the bill. Ten minutes later we walked around to the front of the pub where we were apologetically cashed out by the man we assume was the manager.

Even though it was difficult getting the bill it was a great meal in a pleasant setting. All in all I have to say it was worth the stop and I would recommend it to anyone else who will be in the area.

No comments: