Sunday, July 08, 2007

Garden Journal: July 1 - 7, 2007

This has been a great week in the garden. We've gotten enough rain that we only had to water the garden, and various containers, once. The tomatoes are really starting to produce and I have little green tomatoes all over the place. Even all the containers on the front porch have bloomed and are starting to put out fruit. The butternut squash has bloomed. I wasn't sure if it was going to make it considering we lost the other two but it is doing really well. The potatoes are bushing out nicely and I expect to see blooms on them any day now.

The best thing this week is the harvest. On Wednesday we picked a pound of cherry tomatoes and about 2 lbs of green peas. Of course, once we shelled them we only ended up with 1.5 to 2 cups of actual peas. But, there are plenty more on the vine plumping up as I type so I'll be harvesting more peas later this week and perhaps even twice this week. If it wasn't raining today I'd have picked peas today.

I've found an interesting recipe for the cherry tomatoes I'd like to share with you. It is a salad to serve at room temperature as a side but I could see it as a topping for pasta as well.

Cherry Tomato Salad
1 lb Cherry Tomatoes - sliced in half
1 cup of Feta Cheese - 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cp Sweet Onions - diced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp fresh Thyme - chopped finely
2 Tbsp fresh Basil - chopped finely

Combine tomatoes, cheese, onions, and herbs in a bowl. Slowly drizzle the oil over the mixture and stir. Use only enough oil to make the herbs stick to the rest of the ingredients. Serve room temperature or slightly cooled. Enjoy.

No comments: