Friday, April 27, 2007

Garden Journal: April 24-27, 2007

April 24, 2007 - We stopped at TSC on the way home and bought a 100 ft roll of 1 inch chicken mesh. It was just as well too. When we got home I found the squirrels had cheerfully dug up my beets again along with the Anemones I planted on Sunday. We replanted everything and spent an hour weeding both the planted garden bed as well as the flower beds. We set up a temporary fence until we can get home tomorrow to set up the mesh covers. That should annoy the squirrels terribly.

April 25, 2007 - Found out on the weekend that the red beetles we have been fighting for two years is the Scarlet Lily Beetle. Researched them on Sunday and found several references to Neem Oil. Stopped by the Orchard and Nursery shop and found a big spray bottle of the stuff. It was expensive but I was willing to pay it if it will get those beetles to stop eating my lilies.

Got home from and had to replant the the beets again. Got out that nice roll of fencing and put the fence around the garden. The fencing is actual taller than the posts which makes the top quite floppy. I'm hoping when a squirrel lands on it and starts swinging about, he'll change his mind and go elsewhere to dig.

Checked on the tomatoes we have hidden in the closet. They are getting quite tall. I think we are going to have to set up the second greenhouse and put them outside this weekend. They are a little spindly but maybe if we snip the tops off before we put them outside they will bush out and grow stronger for awhile.

April 26, 2007 - It was a tad cool today and overcast. We got home a little early tonight so we filled all the bird feeders and I checked the lilies. I haven't seen another beetle since Sunday. I'm wondering if they are hiding because of the cooler temperatures or if the four or five I squished Sunday were all the adults we had this year.

April 27, 2007 - It is cool and raining today. It makes it hard to get out and do anything especially when you put in a full day at your paying job. We have a few more weeds to pull out of the planted vegetable bed. They look like Maple seed sprouts so they will be easy to pull.

We have something coming up in the currant bed where, last year, I planted tarragon. I pinched the leaf and smelled it but didn't smell anything in particular. I think it would be awesome if the tarragon turned out to be a perennial in this part of the country and came back every year. I didn't do well with any of the herbs last year so this would make all the work I did with them last year be worth it after all.

No comments: