Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sweet Potatoes

It is amazing how our tastes change as we get older. Take sweet potatoes. As a child I hated sweet potatoes unless they were candied and even then I ate them only grudgingly. Now, as an adult (in age if not spirit), I find them very appealing and look for new ways to eat them. Monday, I made spicy sweet potato fries. If you like sweet potatoes and spicy food, do I have a recipe for you.

We enjoyed these spicy strips with a couple of nicely done steaks. To save on the washing, we baked the steaks at the same time we were baking the potatoes. I hope you enjoy these as much as we did.

Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
3 sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1/2 inch strips
3 Tbsp of olive oil
1 tsp Chili oil
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp powdered cayenne or chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp garlic powder


Place cut potatoes into a bowl and drizzle with oils. Mix by hand to coat potatoes well.
Toss oily potatoes into a bag with spices. Shake to coat heavily.
Spread potato strips onto a cookie sheet and bake 1/2 hr @ 350F.
Potatoes should be tender but not mushy. Scoop onto a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.

1 comment:

Dee said...

I edited the article to correct some spelling issues and realized that I forgot the garlic powder, which is very important in our house. To anyone who has already tried the non-garlic version, my apologies. I hope you enjoyed them anyway.