Sunday, January 21, 2007

Studio Renovations

One of my New Year's resolutions was to renovate the spare bedroom. It has begun, sort of...

We got rid of the bed over the Christmas break, and decided on the look and style we wanted for the room. Something neat, bright, and a little old fashioned. Wood look floors, plaster look wallpaper, and new wood trim for all the windows and doors.

We will be replacing the door with a model that will fit with the look we want. We haven't decided whether the replace the windows or not. If we do, we will get old style split panes with a wood look frame. If we don't then we will be repairing the windows, frames, and sills; and we will be replacing the storm windows with something a little more airtight.

Since we have gotten rid of the bed, we rearranged the room to make it flow better and hopefully be useful until the renovations get started. Now, I am proud to say, I have a Art and Craft studio.

I used it for the first time this weekend. It was great to be able to spend four hours working on the scrapbook I am creating for my grandmother without having to fight cats, dogs, and lack of workspace. I can't wait to pull out paint, pens, and paper to create a piece of art to hang in the house. I'm looking forward to locking myself in the room each night to work on something, anything.

So now that I have my own space I can't imagine giving it up for even short periods of time for renovations. I don't know where all my books, supplies, and such will go while we rip out tile, panelling, and ceiling. I'm sure we will find a way but right now it looks hopeless.

I do know that we have officially lost the spare bedroom. Once the renovations are complete I will be setting the room up once more as my private studio. I will revel in space and privacy. And, hopefully, I will once again begin creating artwork worthy of being shown to the rest of the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really envy you. Pictures would also be nice. Your posts are always so uplifting.

L