Sunday, December 10, 2006

Slow Week

It has been a slow week here at Sparrow Haven. PeterC and I have both been sick. The weather has been uncooperative with doing anything outside. Even the birds that stay here year round have been lying low and keeping quiet.

I am not the easiest person to get along with when I am sick. I become withdrawn and introspective, wanting nothing more than a warm blanket and a dark room. I am not generally considered a social person but during illnesses, regardless of how mild it may be, I drop down in a deep funk and just pass through the world rather than being a part of it. PeterC understands this about me and just checks in every once in a while to make sure I am still breathing, but otherwise leaves me to my thoughts.

It is at the end of times like this that I have a renewed appreciation for many things in my life. I appreciate PeterC's devotion to me and to our family. I appreciate the unconditional love of the cats and dogs, and even their selfish need to be as near to me as possible thus creating the perfect hot water bottles. I appreciate the feather comforter that keeps us warm even on the coldest nights. And most of all I appreciate the fact that I have a roof over my head and the means to be sick in luxury. I am rich compared to so many others in this world.

No comments: