Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Chicken Stew

Whenever I bake a chicken, we always have leftovers. At least three portions of the leftovers go in the freezer for later meals. It gets used in everything from chicken fajitas to chicken fried rice. We've even been known to chop it up and throw it in our Sunday morning omelet.

As I mentioned in my previous post I've been sick for the last week. Even with lots of rest I hadn't been able to shake this stupid cold. Sunday, in desperation to find something to restore my energy and bolster my immune system I turned to good old fashioned Chicken Stew. Just the smell of it cooking was enough to revive me a little.

Old Fashioned Chicken Stew
1-2cps cooked chicken diced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cps diced carrots
2 cps diced potatoes
3/4 cp frozen or fresh peas
1/2 large onion diced
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 cp chicken broth
2 Tbsp dried parsley or tarragon
2 tsp each garlic powder, salt, black pepper or each to taste
2 Tbsp flour

Heat oil in large stock pot.
Add onion and cook until soft.
Add chicken and all spices and stir well, heating chicken through.
Add carrots, potatoes, and peas stirring the mixture thoroughly.
Pour in broth and heat to boiling. Lower heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender.
Stir in the flour and return to boiling until broth starts to thicken. Remove from heat and serve.

Today we finished off the rest of the stew and I feel better than I have since last week. My mind is clear. I can breathe through my nose. And miracles of miracles my ears are unplugged and I can actually hear what people are saying to me.

What could possibly be better than a bowl of fresh hot chicken stew? Chicken stew is easy to make and is a great way to use leftover chicken. Once you put everything in the pot it can be ignored, if you can ignore such a wonderful smell. It is a delicious and nutritious addition to your regular diet and a soothing meal for when you are ill. When you have a cold that you just can't shake chicken stew beats chicken noodle soup any day of the week.

No comments: