Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Fall Blahs

I love fall. The colours, the smell, the cooler nights, and even the rains. But at the same time I always get kind of blah this time of year. It doesn't happen every day but when it does happen it seems to last for several days at a time. I've wondered if it was related to the lower amounts of sunlight or maybe even an allergic reaction to pollen and dust in the air.

Today, at work, someone asked me what my plans for the weekend were but for the life of me I couldn't think of anything to say. I didn't have any plans for this weekend. Usually I have a task list ready by the middle of the week to make sure we get everything done over the weekend. But not this weekend.

All the canning is done until later when the pumpkins are ripe. The garden has slowed down so that I can wait two weeks between harvesting and even then I don't get much. We don't hunt and even if we did we don't have room in the freezer for any more meat. The wood is stacked and the indoor frame has been brought in and filled with wood. It's been raining this week so the outside wood can't be covered yet. And, the holidays are to far away to start baking and getting ready for them.

I thought about it for awhile and suddenly it dawned on me. The reason I get the blahs this time of year is because for the months of August and September I work feverishly to get all the food processed and stored away for winter, then suddenly the work is done. There is no speed up and slow down period. It is full speed ahead and WHAM! all stop just like that.

So for the next two weeks I'll wonder around the house on the weekends trying to figure out something that needs to be done, all the while ignoring the one thing I truly wish I could do. I wish I could relax but I'm not created that way. I always have to be busy and have some purpose in life. I think I'll take up painting and sewing again. It may not help with the fall blahs, but the winter dumps will be here to soon and in the cold nights the dumps can be more frightening than the blahs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm anxiously awaiting photos of your paintings/drawings/carvings and sewing. Perhaps even a small poem. You have many talents Dee, please share them with us.

Dee said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm very picky about anything artistic and will only show those pieces that I feel are exceptional. Hopefully, we'll see a few of those this winter.

Anonymous said...

Why wait until winter, start now. Fall is a beautiful and inspirational season. While you're out in the woods etc getting inspiration, please make sure that Peter takes many photos and perhaps shows off his many talents also.

ps maybe I'll even see some of those pieces hanging in your cubbie