Friday, July 28, 2006

Cooking With Green Beans

As you may remember from my previous post we are getting quite a lot of green beans from our small garden. We love to eat green beans steamed, mixed with stews, and even mixed with stir fry. But with the number of green beans we've been picking so far we needed something new and interesting.

I use the Internet a lot to look for new recipes but I also have a horde of cookbooks that I flip through on occasion. I even have a couple of gardening books with recipes for each plant discussed in the growing of section. The "Farmer's Wife..." series is turning out to have some wonderful ideas for home grown fruits and vegetables. If you have a garden and are interested in finding some recipes for cooking and preserving then I suggest you find the books. I bought mine from Lee Valley.

I am one of those cooks that people look at with horror when they watch them in the kitchen. I never follow a recipe exactly, I taste and sniff constantly, and I grab spices off the shelf and sprinkle with abandon. Several people have asked me ho to make some dish or another but in all honesty I can never remember specific measurements so I just make an educated guess.

My most recent recipe came from the Farmer's Wife Guide to Vegetables. The recipe was called Green Beans with Pepper and Cashew Butter Sauce. I read through the recipe and then proceeded to edit it to our personal tastes. Below you will find my version of the recipe which we served with steamed squash and baked chicken.

Green Beans with Pepper and Cashew Butter Sauce
1/2 lb cooked green beans (in 1 inch pieces)
2 Tbsp of butter
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup sweet white onion
3/4 cup cashew pieces
garlic, salt, and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
Add pepper, onions, and garlic. Cook until onions are soft.
Add Cashews and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes or until peppers start to soften.
Add green beans and stir vigorously for several minutes and beans are hot through.
Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Blast said...

Like you Dee my cooking is a very dynamic thing to watch. Me and my wife swear I'm a good cook but I never remember exactly the process that would recreate my latest masterpiece. I may never be able to prove my culinary prowess as fact but the proof is in the pudding..Literally.

Dee said...

Thanks Blast. So far I have never had an unhappy, or poorly fed, guest over for dinner. As you say, the proof is in the pudding....BTW if you have a good pudding recipe I'd love to get a copy :)